Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Prophet: Reggae 101 pt. 1




i've been really inspired by reggae music recently. i don't know what it is is about it (possibly the rawness and politically charged lyrics) that make me want to just get up & protest something. Anyway i've been updating my reggae playlist and thought it would be fitting to share some of my favorites and classic. This is a crash course for those who are not familiar with reggae and for those who are well consider this review.

Names you should know:
Desmond Dekker
Jimmy Cliff
Bob Marley & The Wailers
Lucky Dube

Songs to Download/Favorites:
Three Little Birds- Bob Marley
*Redemption Song-Bob Marley
*Israelites-Desmond Dekker
Cupid- Johnny Nash (covered by Amy Winehouse)
Burn Down di System-Collie Buddz
*The Mission- Damian & Stephan Marley
There for You-Damian Marley





6 comments:

  1. I love Bob Marley and Steel Pulse too! Such a positive music style

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh I'm a mad jamaicansounds lover!
    you should check out
    http://www.mediazoneja.com
    massive downloads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The music on your blog is correct (GREAT) listening to it whilst at my desk. Nice blog too. You've inspired me to have a Bob Marley private party in my room when i get home.

    http://pro-fresh.blogspot.com/
    http://mostvaluableescapades.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great great blog, love bob and the wailers.
    Thanks for the comment! Do you like the music?hope so.
    Have fun and ROCK AND ROLL!
    www.martealolejos.blogspot.com
    Marta

    ReplyDelete